One of the reasons I started my old blog was to use it as a front end for managing our department website. Prospective graduate students generally don’t think my friends at MIT haven’t published for the last 5 years based on their website, but people with bicoastal biases might actually believe that about Texas A&M. Manual updates are a pain. Faculty send you information in different formats, when they bother to respond at all.
When I was in charge of graduate recruiting, I also wrote some PHP scripts to automate the management of our departmental website, in an attempt to break the cycle of revision via Dreamweaver. One of the features I was most proud of was automated updates of faculty publication lists from PubMed via NCBI’s EUtils web service. Now that we’ve migrated to WordPress, I wrote a wordpress plugin WP PubMed Reflist to supply that functionality. I’ve now made it available on WordPress.org and I was pleased to see that the updater here pulled the latest update, which adds PMC and Full Text links.
For comparison, Tania Baker’s website at biology.mit.edu as of today: vs what the plugin does:
- Olivares, AO, Baker, TA, Sauer, RT. Mechanical Protein Unfolding and Degradation. Annu. Rev. Physiol. 2018;80 :413-429. doi: 10.1146/annurev-physiol-021317-121303. PubMed PMID:29433415 .
- Yien, YY, Ducamp, S, van der Vorm, LN, Kardon, JR, Manceau, H, Kannengiesser, C et al.. Mutation in humanelevates levels ofaminolevulinate synthase and protoporphyrin IX to promote erythropoietic protoporphyria. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2017;114 (38):E8045-E8052. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1700632114. PubMed PMID:28874591 PubMed Central PMC5617249.
- Olivares, AO, Kotamarthi, HC, Stein, BJ, Sauer, RT, Baker, TA. Effect of directional pulling on mechanical protein degradation by ATP-dependent proteolytic machines. Proc. Natl. Acad. Sci. U.S.A. 2017; :. doi: 10.1073/pnas.1707794114. PubMed PMID:28724722 PubMed Central PMC5547649.
- Baytshtok, V, Chen, J, Glynn, SE, Nager, AR, Grant, RA, Baker, TA et al.. Covalently linked HslU hexamers support a probabilistic mechanism that links ATP hydrolysis to protein unfolding and translocation. J. Biol. Chem. 2017;292 (14):5695-5704. doi: 10.1074/jbc.M116.768978. PubMed PMID:28223361 PubMed Central PMC5392565.
- Hall, BM, Breidenstein, EB, de la Fuente-Núñez, C, Reffuveille, F, Mawla, GD, Hancock, RE et al.. Two isoforms of Clp peptidase in Pseudomonas aeruginosa control distinct aspects of cellular physiology. J. Bacteriol. 2016; :. doi: 10.1128/JB.00568-16. PubMed PMID:27849175 PubMed Central PMC5237113.